Stony Brook-area historical tornado activity is slightly above New York state average. On July 10th, 1989, 32.0 miles away from the Stony Brook city center, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado injured 40 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On May 24th, 1962, 44.5 miles away from the city center, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado killed one person and injured 50 people. It caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Averages in Stony Brook, NY
- The average warmest month is July.
- The highest recorded temperature was 100°F in 2001.
- January is the average coolest month.
- The lowest recorded temperature was -11°F in 1934.
- The maximum average precipitation occurs in April.